Welcome to the Academy of Doctors of Audiology Endorsed Insurance Programs!

Trust Risk Management Services (TRMS) and the Academy of Doctors of Audiology (ADA) are pleased to offer Professional Liability and Business Office Insurance to you.

Anyone can bring a suit against you or make a complaint to a licensing agency for any reason. Professional Liability Insurance is the most cost effective means of protecting your reputation, your career, and your personal financial assets! The policy provides audiologists with competitive malpractice insurance coverage and is available to both individuals and groups.

Do you own your own business? ADA endorsed commercial business office insurance policy combines many of the essential coverages needed by a typical small to medium-sized business into one package policy.

About Professional Liability Insurance

Professional Liability insurance, in its simplest meaning, is coverage that protects a qualified professional against claims alleging negligent acts, errors, or omissions in the performance of providing professional services. All practicing healthcare providers need Professional Liability insurance. This is the case whether an individual is employed or self-employed in independent practice. In the event of a licensing board complaint or a suit alleging “malpractice,” Professional Liability insurance is the only line of defense in protecting a healthcare provider’s personal and business assets.

The emergence of new areas of practice, new governmental regulations (e.g., the HIPAA Privacy Rule or Medicare and Medicaid regulations), and the increase in licensing board complaints has produced a new set of potential risks and necessitated additional protections for healthcare providers. The Professional Liability Policy offered through Trust Risk Management Services (TRMS) includes coverage that addresses these risks.

The program also offers Professional Liability Insurance for students of the health care profession, designed to cover activities such as practicum and internships.

General FAQ

What does the Professional Liability Policy cover?

The Professional Liability Insurance Policy covers you in your covered practice for bodily injury, personal injury, and limited property damage. The policy also includes supplemental protection for defense reimbursement for licensing board complaints, and no-fault medical.

Where am I covered?

The policy puts no limits on where you can practice (though state or local statutes, including licensing requirements, may). You are covered for services you provide anywhere in the world. However, the policy will only defend you if you are sued in the United States, its territories or possessions, or Canada.

Why are there two limits of coverage on my policy?

The policy has a per-incident limit and an aggregate limit. The per-incident limit is the maximum the policy will pay for one incident/occurrence. The aggregate limit is the maximum the policy will pay if there are multiple suits that apply to the same policy period. Each claim is still subject to the per incident limit.

Do I pay for my defense?

No. If you have a covered claim, the carrier will assign an attorney to defend you. The defense expenses do not diminish the limits available for damages. You are still covered up to your policy limits for settlements or damages. Please note: the carrier does NOT assign attorneys for reimbursement coverages such as licensing board or HIPAA.

When does premises liability apply?

The premises liability coverage applies to the part of any premises used by you in the course of providing professional services.

What are the dollar limits of coverage?

Premises liability is part of your coverage. You have the full limits of the policy available to pay for a covered claim. If you have a $1 million per-incident policy, the policy limits may go up to $1 million for damages. The policy also includes no-fault premises medical payments for bodily injury.

Does Premises Liability coverage apply if the office is in the home?

The premises liability coverage applies to the part of any premises used by you in the course of providing professional services. If you provided professional services out of a home office, the premises liability coverage would apply to that part of your premises. If your office is located in your home, your Homeowner’s policy may or may not apply to business pursuits. It is important to talk to your Homeowner's agent to find out if you need to modify your homeowner's insurance for a home office.

Should the landlord be added as an additional insured to the Professional Liability Policy?

You can list the landlord on your policy if you are required to do so under your lease agreement. In the event of a claim, your policy limits will be shared with all named parties including additional insureds, and landlord additional insureds.

Who can be listed as an additional insured?

You may include as an additional insured any person or entity for whom you have a contractual obligation to provide insurance for your negligence or the negligence of those of whom you are legally liable. Note that the insured cannot have an ownership stake in any entity named as an additional insured.

When should I list an additional insured on my policy?

When you list a third party as an additional insured, you are sharing your limits to protect them. You should only list an additional insured when it is required by contract.

For Employed Individuals
I am covered under my employer’s insurance policy. Do I still need my own insurance coverage?

Being insured through someone else’s malpractice policy doesn’t guarantee you will be a priority or receive personal coverage when you need it the most. When considering the value of having your own individual professional liability insurance policy, ask the following questions:

  • Does your employer's policy clearly name you as an insured?
  • Does your employer's policy have a deductible?
  • Select one of the search results to add the stop to list of unassigned stops.
  • Do your employer's interests in settling a case clearly align with your personal and financial interests?
  • Are you certain that your employer's insurance company will provide you personally with legal representation?
  • Are you certain that your employer has insurance or that it has not been compromised without your knowledge?
  • Have your employer's limits been eroded by other claims?
  • Do you ever provide professional service outside the workplace as a volunteer, a Good Samaritan, or part time?
  • Will your employer cover you for a Licensing Board Complaint?

For Self Employed Individuals

When you work for yourself, you assume full responsibility for your professional activities. If you have a business name, this can be included at no additional premium charge.

For Groups/Firms

When you work for yourself, you assume full responsibility for your professional activities and the activities of your employees. If you have a business name, this can be included at no additional premium charge.

Do you cover groups?

Groups up to 30 professionals may apply online.

What is an Employee?

Anyone you hire and provide a W2 Form for tax purposes is considered an employee. When listed as an insured, employees are covered only for acts performed on your behalf as an employee of your practice or organization.

What is an independent contractor?

Any person contracted by you who receives a 1099 Form for tax purposes is an independent contractor. Your coverage protects you against claims against you caused by the negligence of a contractor or subcontractor while working on your behalf. The Policy, however, does not provide coverage for claims made against the independent contractor, if the independent contractor is not specifically added as an insured to the policy.

Why do I have to pay to list independent contractors on my policy?

A charge applies for each independent contractor added as an insured to your policy. You may list independent contractors on your policy if they do not carry their own Professional Liability insurance.

Why must my independent contractors carry their own coverage?

Having an independent contractor in your practice increases your exposure. The best way to protect yourself is to make sure they are insured under your policy.